If your dog has consumed a large amount of onions, the symptoms of onion poisoning will vary. The severity of the symptoms will depend on the size of the dog and the amount of onions that have been consumed. In small dogs, symptoms may include lethargy, pale gums, increased heart rate, decreased appetite, and reddish urine. If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, you should seek veterinary care immediately.
Although onions can be part of many types of food, broths, and spices, they are not safe for dogs to consume in large amounts. Onion toxicity causes a decline in red blood cell count. Dogs should avoid onions, but they can eat a small amount of them, such as those found on a pizza. Alternatively, you can buy onion powder, which can be just as dangerous. A small amount of onions can cause vomiting or diarrhea in a dog, so always take your pet to a vet if you suspect they have eaten an onion.
In large amounts, onions may cause diarrhea, vomiting, and blood disorders in dogs. Onion poisoning may require a blood transfusion. Fortunately, onions are not harmful to dogs in small amounts, but frequent consumption can have negative effects on your dog’s health. Aside from causing bad breath, onions contain a toxic principle called N-propyl disulfide. This substance can damage red blood cells, leading to anemia and possibly even death.